Monday, March 9, 2015

My ‘Contractual Hours’ Experiment


Recently I read an article about the extra unpaid hours worked by teachers in the UK. I found the article disturbing in that not only did teachers on average work an extra 12 unpaid hours per week, but that I could include myself in this group.

I justify the extra 10 hours a week. Telling myself that tutoring, giving tests, developing curriculum, making podcasts, attending IEP’s/504’s, and staff meetings mean that I am dedicated to my job and that’s just what it takes to do my job at the level of perfection I have come to expect from myself. In my 9th year of teaching, I’m questioning the burn-out that may soon follow.

WHAT IF I only worked contracted hours? What if I drew a line in the sand and refused to stay extra hours? Would I feel less tired? Less stressed? Would my own children know my face? Would the school implode without my extra time? Would I be the teacher I want to be?

So here is my challenge: Work from 7:15-3:15 every day for one week, (this includes 30 minutes of a break for lunch with no students-15 minutes added to each side of my contracted day).

The Rules:
      1.       I will not arrive before 7:15 and will not stay after 3:15.

2.       I will not tutor students or do work during my 30 minute lunch.

3.       I will not work from home the weekend before or after, and on evenings.

The extra information:
1.       I have picked an easier week with less after school and before school mandatory meetings.

2.       I am not giving a test in any class this week (no extra time to plan).

3.       I will attend one mandatory lunch meeting I cannot decline due to scheduling.

My promise
1.       I will blog once during the week and once after the week is done to address:

a.       My emotional state

b.      My physical state

c.       My grading pile

d.      My overall self-assessment of my effectiveness as an educator

e.      My colleagues assessment of the above (just to make sure I’m not kidding myself)

As a self-professed perfectionistic/work-a-holic, I am terrified at the thought of not working the extra hours to do things just right. But my curious nature wants to force myself to see if there is a more sustainable number of hours that will allow me to balance my career and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment